Environmental Impact Metrics
The idea behind the environmental metrics project is to create a state validated platform for calculating environmental impacts. A data exchange platform which allows you to query relevant data from both state and private sector databases in order to calculate a measurable impact to the environment of a product/service/company with an agreed methodology.
Considering Estonia’s uniqueness – the state set principle of one-off submission of data and Estonia’s e-state’s high level, Estonia creates an unprecedented sandbox for the creation of this service which is needed all over the world.
As an output, both the private and public sector can create apps on the back of this data exchange platform in order to optimize policy and business.
The created solution would compose of three parts:
- Data layer
- Methodoly and calculation layer
- Output layer / apps
Possible use cases through later created applications:
- An app which help the user make purchasing decisions based on environmental impacts
- Policy making tool for the public sector
- A tool for assessing an investment’s environmental impacts
- A public procurement add-on, which helps to assess a product’s/service’s/company’s environmental upon decisionmaking